Friday, April 10, 2009

Mad Scientist says that Sun is Enemy...

Global warming...err I mean Global Climate Change (didn't we used to call that "Seasons" in the olden days? Funny how innocent we were back then) feels to me like the new version of the 1938 Orson Wells radio broadcast of War of the Worlds. Only this time, it's slowed waydown and it's less entertaining.

Until today! This article took my speechlessness to a new level. I wouldn't have anything to say to someone like this. Well, I might be able to come up with a few clarification questions...just so I'm getting it right. (Article from the Utah Daily Herald, 4/4/09, section A2)

Below is the article, and a few of my favorite clips, along with my follow up questions/comments.












Me: "Ok so...Um... So you want to... Sorry, I'm usually not like this. It just sounds silly to say but you want to... block...the sun?

Wait... that does make good sense. I mean..it's hot in the sun sometimes! And it's not-as-hot in the shade. Like at a picnic! So if the whole planet was in the shade....yeah...I see where you're going with this. Pass the watermelon"



Holdren followed this statement with "...But think how awesome the launch would be! Dude. "












Me: "No Duh... Everyone knows this no-brainer. Basically, if nothing works, we'll just use geoengineering and create a new earth."

Editors Note: If your spell check doesn't know a word like "geoengineering" it means that either 1) it's not a real thing, or 2) only God can do it.



Me: "Yes... No I just wanted to say... I am not a Noble laureate, and I hate to downplay your fake plastic trees idea because it's awesome...it really is! But don't actual trees already do this?

Oh wait I understand now... these geoengineered trees would be the same as real trees, except they woudln't release Oxygen! Brilliant...Stunningly Brilliant. I'm glad you're our top science guy."

Editors note: "Geoengineered" passes the spell check, but not "geoengineering." So I think you can have BEEN a geoengineer, but you cannot BE one. Again... Only for God.




This scene from the reality show "The Simpsons" proves to us that we humans, an amazement of evolution to being with, are yet capable of rediculously awesome earth-saving measures. THIS is the new red button, and is something that Mr Holdren reportedly refers to as "[his] precious."

I think Mr. Holdren and I would agree on one thing. The time has come to panic.

6 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

I think we should kill all humans so this world can finally be at peace! That would solve EVERYTHING! Those evil humans living their daily lives. There needs to be more geoengineering and less humans. These posts are awesome Matty.

Cami said...

I agree with Lili. The pesky humans are the problem. In fact, lifeforms of all kind have been destroying the earth for years. Let's get rid of all of them. Or, maybe make artificial ones that don't use oxygen, or something. We could call them Cylons . . .

Emily said...

Mom and I say thank you for the good laugh. I am glad I checked again for the updates.

...the reality show, "The Simpons"...

Oh man, it's only 7:30 am, and we're all riled up with laughter.

Time to panic for sure.

KC said...

One option I like, fertilize the ocean (basically, carbon is turned to fish feces).

link

Sami said...

I totally think we should block the sun. Who wants sunshine?

Drew said...

HA HA HA, reality show The Simpsons... That is some kind of brilliant.