Monday, March 09, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

Just thought I'd post this recipe since it seems to be popular. I've probably made these 50 times. (It's really all I can make, so I use them for all parties etc.)

Tips:

Don't overdo the brown sugar: I sometimes have a tendency to overdo it with the brown sugar. Get it on there nice and thin so it sweetens the rolls, but does not overpower them. Think orange rolls, rather than stickybuns.

Use the good cinnamon: The kind that Costco currently sells. Not the cheap kind from Nortons. It makes a huge difference, especially when you don't overpower the cinnamon with the brown sugar.

Let em raise: I sometimes double the raising time, especially in the winter when it's usually colder in the house. Let it double in size the first time (in the bowl). The second time (in the pans), give them an hour to raise, and then proofbox them for another 20. It's the bast.

Roll em thick: Don't over roll. Too thin makes for rolls that don't raise quite right. I like my rolled out dought to be about 1/4" thick.

Don't over flour: Flower is the enemy. I don't know how much I actually use, but it's got to be at least a cup less than they say. Add flour until the dough is baaaarrrely unsticky enough to handle. If it's still pretty sticky when you take it out of the mixing bowl, add a bit on your hands so you can kneed it a bit. The stickier, the better.

Thanks to Emily for all of these accumulated tips. I've probably called her 10 times over the years in the middle of this recipe. Girl knows what she's talkin' about.

Also, my wife once bought me some Springform pans, which are excellent for these. Time after time I forgot to use them when making these rolls. Hence the note on the bottom of the recipe.

Enjoy.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh man, am I happy to have this recipe. You are so generous to just give it away like this. And don't go giving me all the credit. You came up with a lot of that stuff with your own trial and error. The sign of a good chef. I have a problem that I always make something different, and then I'm not able to remember the changes the next time I make it, if ever. And genius with the spring form. I have used it for lots of other various projects, but I'll definitely use it for these. I'm making these at my next gathering. Though, my friend tends to make them a lot, and she might feel bad cause these are really good and I don't want to over-shadow.

Oh, one more thing. Nortons? Wow, it's been a while since I thought of that place.

melody said...

Yes, I have been meaning to buy that Costco cinnamon. Thanks for the recipe. I am a little nervous to try it though, I have never made cinnamon rolls! Yours are always so delicious so many with these tips I will attempt them myself. Wish me luck.

Jules said...

Ooo, I have heard much of these cinnamon rolls. Any chance you'll be making some in a few days time...? :D

Matt said...

Julie, you bet! I'll make it happen.

Cami said...

Nortons! Blast from the past for sure. These look yummy. I will try them when I have a kitchen.

Jules said...

Just as a follow up: I *may* have inadvertently offended my Mother when I described your cinnamon rolls as the best. ever.