Thursday, February 08, 2007

Help! We need money!

Did I get your attention? Good, because we need some help, though not the kind you might think.


We need help finding these. Read on for the full story.

A few years ago, McJackson started a coin collection. We started putting them in coin collecting folders. We still enjoy getting out the magnifying glasses and going through coin rolls from the bank. It makes for a good DJT. See the photo of his current collection below.




Most coins are fairly easy to find, but one coin in particular is proving to be very difficult! The Eisenhower dollar, minted between 1971 and 1978 are becoming less and less common, but they're still in circulation and still worth...you guessed it...$1

What can you do? The only way to "find" these things really, is to ask the teller at the bank. They banks usually only have them if someone brings them in. So many times I hear "Oh man, I had 10 of those yesterday, but someone bought them all." We've been lucky enough to find 1 so far. (See the lower left part of the picture...the largest coin there)

When you go to the bank, if you're not already looking for these coins yourself, would you mind asking for us? I'll gladly pay you for the coins and postage to send them to us. Ask for "Eisenhower Dollars". Sometimes you have to describe them as "The old bigger coins, sometimes referred to as silver dollars." It's an exciting day when we find one of these for our collection.

We also look for Susan B. Anthony dollars, but they're relatively easy to find. Most of our coin books are well stocked, and we're starting to look for old coins there...which is where the fun begins. :)

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help us find some of these.

4 comments:

Cami said...

I think I totally have one. You can have it.

Janice Graham said...

Wow. What a collection. One of my childhood memories is watching my dad work on his coin collection. A few times he brought home big bags of pennies and had us sort through them.

Corinne said...

The only silver dollar I have was given to me by my great-grandmother when I was born and it's from my birth year - 1977. I'll totally keep my eyes out for you though!

Unknown said...

So, matt, that picture of the coinage collections took more than a minute on my computer to load. Must be a biggee, or my computer has issues. Anyway, the bank always says "no" when I ask for them. Dang.