Friday, February 02, 2007

Say the word, and be like me....

Some time ago, I was asked by a good friend to create an essential Beatles playlist. I thought about it for a few days and decided that the only way for me to do a fair job is to actually listen to each song. Below is the result.

I'm basing these on the US cd's, which are actually made from the British LP's. So, the included tracks may be different than those included on the American LP's.

Please pardon the images. I'm linking them straight from Amazon.com, so some have sales pitches on them.


Album: Please Please Me
- Twist and Shout








Album: With the Beatles
- It won't be long
- All my lovin




Album: A Hard Days Night
- If I fell
- And I love her
- Tell me why






Album: Beatles for sale
- Baby's in black
- Rock and Roll music
- I'll follow the sun
- Mr Moonlight






Album: Help!
- You've got to hide your love away
- Ticket to ride
- It's only love




Album: Rubber Soul
- In my life
- Norwegian Wood
- Girl






Album: Revolver
- Elenor Rigby
- I'm only sleeping
- She said, She said
- Good day Sunshine
- And your bird can sing




Album: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
- Fixing a hole
- Lovely Rita
- A Day in the Life




Album: Magical Mystery Tour
- I am the Walrus
- Your Mother Should Know
- Baby You're a Rich Man




Album: The Beatles (The White Album)
- Dear Prudence
- Oh bla di, Oh bla da
- While my guitar gently weeps
- Happiness is a warm gun
- Blackbird
- Rocky Racoon
- I will
- Julia
- Sexy Sadie
- Helter Skelter
- Cry baby cry


Album: Yellow Submarine
- All Together Now
- Hey Bulldog








Album: Abbey Road
- Come Together
- Something
- Because
- You Never Give me Your Money
- She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
- Her Majesty






Album: Let It Be
- Two Of Us
- Across The Universe
- I Me Mine
- I've Got A Feeling





Others:
These are some tracks that didn't appear on the albums above for one reason or another, but are still included in my favorites
- Lady Madonna
- Don't Let Me Down
- Free As a Bird

In addition, the new album entitled "Love" (2006) is fantastic. It's a cool mix of a lot of their songs. Not to mention all the Anthology and outtake Cd's etc. But those mostly don't belong in this list.

#104: I once had a girl, or should I say she once had me.

6 comments:

Cami said...

I'm glad to see The White Album has the most selections. Yes, it was the longest, but it was also the BEST! I vote for Julia as the best ever, but that's just me.

Matt said...

The White Album is definately something. I often feel like "Kay" from Men In Black: "This is gonna replace the CD soon, so I'll have to buy the White Album again..."

Corinne said...

I agree - the White Album is fantastic, but for my own personal nostalgia, Abbey Road and St. Pepper's were the most-listened to albums. My older sister tried to convince me that every song on St. Pepper's was about drugs.

Janice Graham said...

Wow. What a blast from the past. When I was a kid my older sister bought the Sgt.Pepper album. I think that's the only one we had. It was huge.

Amber said...

Wait till Jordan sees this! I wonder if his list matches up with yours.

Anonymous said...

Great list, except on the Sgt. Peppers album doesn't include She's Leaving Home. It is still a great list, but that is one of my favorite songs.