Saturday, August 19, 2006

My 30 seconds of first-sucker-woot-fame...

Disclaimer: There is nothing in this article to do with any actual fame. It's just silly. But if you want an autograph, please email me, and I'll get you an address where you can send a SASE.

For those of you who don't regularly visit woot.com, here is a brief summary.

They sell one product per day, until it's sold out. Usually electronics, computer hardware, kitchen gadgets, etc. Items range in prices from $5 to $3000 and shipping is always $5 no matter the size of the item.

The only exception to the one-day-one-deal rule is when woot.com hosts a "wootoff." During a wootoff, a new item is presented directly after the previous one sells out. A meter is shown to give an idea of how many of a particular item is left. Items usually last between a few minutes to a few hours during a wootoff. "Wooters" tend to lose sleep during these events.

I've been watching woot.com for new items for a while now, but have never "wooted" (bought something.) That changed during the last woot off, which ended last night. I bought a few items including a new hard drive and a few wireless xbox controllers for my OG Xbox.

Here is where my woot-fame comes in.

When the logitec wireless xbox controllers came up, I was ready. I had been waiting for just this item. My xbox controllers are starting to short out, and they are...(ahem)...I'm embarassed to say... wired.

Anyway, when the woot came up, I bought two. After I completed my purchase, I went to see how many others had bought right away. Here is the screenshot:




Notice: First Sucker: themdg. That's me. I wooted first. I'm a hero. I'm on the woot site forever! My posterity will know that I was the kinda of guy who didn't mess around. When I wooted, I WOOTED.

Or so I thought.

A few minutes later, the site was updated, and another wooter was given the illustrious title of "First Sucker." I guess he was .5 seconds or so before me, so it was fixed.

At least I got the screenshot! And I hope the wireless controllers come soon.

2 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

No matter what they say Matt, we all know you were the first one... Don't let the refresh button tell you otherwise. Good job on wooting! What an accomplishment!

bitchey said...

I have encountered a situation like this before. I am afraid you have been a vicitm of 1, possiably 2 quite dangerous situations.

The first, and most likely of the two scenearios is this: this supposed 'other wooter' is connected, highly connected. With the click of his mouse botton, he gets what he wants, when he wants it. Its easy to want to blame the propriators of woot.com, however, they are doing what they have to do to get by. Think of it this way, if they had not given away your fame, said connnected whooter may have decimated woot.com's bandwidth. Noone needs to see another painfully slow webpage.

Second. I know its hard to beleive in this day and age, but there are still glitches in programs. Also known sometimes as 'bugs'. These fragments of code often times group together, to exibit unpredicted behavior. Possiably the beginnings of 'free will' or a 'soul'. This leads to an inevitable questions: what did themdg do, to upset woot.com. It is a question I expect to never know the entire truth, and I suppose noone will, except woot, and themdg.

So, as you can well see, these are the only two true possibilities. Wether only one of the above is true, or both are true, there is only one thing to do. We must give thanks to themdg, by sacrificing itself and giving up the fame it rightfully deserves, it has either given woot the ability to continue to grow, and server errr, I mean serve or it has deleayed a battle of epic proportions that will have endless reprocussions.