Sunday, August 06, 2006

A blast from the past: EMCB Courtyard @ UofU...

I was looking for a picture for a friend today, and I ran across this picture online:



This is the courtyard of the EMCB building in the Engineering Department of the University of Utah. I hear that the place is changed now, but I assume this courtyard looks similar. It's hard to sum up a place like this. So much bitterness, and so much triumph all wrapped up into one place. I want to either bronze the place and put is on my mantle, or burn it to the ground and never look back. I can't decide, but I have matches and kerosine all set here.

This view is taken from a doorway on the second floor of this buildling. Since this doorway is close to the lab where we spent most of our time (lives!) back then, we spent countless hours standing in that spot taking a break, and talking ourselves out of nervous breakdowns.

The doors that you see in the left corner of that buildling are where we always emerged after every Computer Science test we ever had. All the cs kids would come out by those little trees, and talk about each problem in the test. I wanted to live in ignorant bliss for at least a few more house so I agressively avoided these conversations. I remember chating my post-test mantra "FBFW Mattie...it's over" or "For Better or For Worse, it's over." (Meaning the test.)

That was clearly the hardest thing I've ever done, but probably not the hardest thing I'll ever do. In that light, I kind of miss that place. But in any other light, I think it's good that I moved across the entire country, away from here.

/me lights match.

5 comments:

bitchey said...

Ahhhh EMCB, what a scene. If I could only count the number of Newports I have smoked in the very spot that picture was taken from.

Last semester I took a DB class, just to make myself feel less stagnent. It was wierd. Standing there, smoking alone, reminiscing. I felt remorse and joy all at the same time. I wanted and needed my bitterness crew, and yet I was so happy that we had all complete the journey.

I so look forward to a biterness renunion. The upcoming wedding promises to be a good time. Nice work crew for making it out of that shithole. Screw Sandy, that bitch.

Lili and Jeff said...

Whoa... college sounds crazy times, especially with computer science! But OMG, it surely paid off because of what a genious you are today. I guess you were before as well, but it enhanced it. And besides, I am glad you are over here in Maryland as well, so I can see you more often than in Kansas. Yet, if you were in Utah, I could see you all the time... Maybe we should all just move to Maryland. That would solve everything.

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm with bitchey. Let's do the CS department a favor and get Sandy fired.