Thursday, April 01, 2010

An interesting look at GM and Toyota

This weeks episode of This American Life is a very interesting look at GM and Toyota and their successes and failures over the years.

As Toyota pulled ahead of GM during the 80's, they opened their doors to GM to help them produce better cars. GM couldn't handle the implementation and is now on Government welfare. After listening to this episode, I am no longer surprised at GM's failure and Toyotas success. I also don't see any hope for the future of auto manufacturing in the USA as long as the Unions are providing the labor.


In my opinion, if GM continues to ignore all advise and lessons from history, it will continue to be owned by the US Government. Sadly, this means that overpaid and over-powerful workers will continue be rewarded (with my tax dollars) for making poor quality cars.

However if Toyota follows their own advise, it will come away from it's recent failures stronger than ever.

NUMMI | This American Life

PHOTO: Courtesy of New United Motor Manufacturing Inc.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am gonna take a listen. Good points.

Cami said...

Well! When you changed your blog, it made it so my bloglines didn't work. I was not getting your feeds! Now I'm back. Anywho . . .

Interesting. I knew the government was involved in trying to make people buy American, but I didn't realize the full involvement!