Thursday, May 22, 2008

Blogger (google) drops the ball...

You may notice that in my last post the photo layout is broken. I think I can fix it manually, but I shouldn't have to. For nearly 5 days now users of blogger.com's FTP or SFTP publishing feature (we publish our weblogs to our own domains via ftp, rather than using whatever.blogspot.com) have been unable to publish photos, and publishing text has been spotty.

There is some pretty heated public outcry on blogger.com's help forum here.

Blogger.com (owned and operated by google) remains frustratingly silent about this. So much so that ftp publishers are starting to leave blogger for other weblog services (like wordpress). I don't post very much lately, so I tend to take a wait-and-see stance here. But I admit, this problem is lasting too long, and googles absolute silence approaches infuriating.

My personal belief is that blogger no longer wants to support ftp as a mode of publishing. Blogger.com offers some pretty great features for embedding photos and videos and they offer a wide variety of cool layout features. Nearly all of these are not available to those of us who use ftp publishing. I'm ok with that. I'm running my weblog on my own simple apache server in my basement. The weblogs hosted on blogspot run on googles servers which support all those neat advanced features. I think Google is tired of providing a dumbed-down version of their software and is hoping we'll all just go away. And I will, if that's how it's going to be.

Hey Google, either give us an ETA for a fix here, or give us our walking papers and maybe some tips on migrating. You're not making any friends staying silent.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about your troubs. Gotta be frustrating. Hope they come around soon.

Cami said...

Lame. Good luck with that. I wish they would let me paste my pictures in place or give me a larger window to move them around in. If I don't want to go into HTML mode I'm pretty screwed.