Saturday, October 21, 2006

Cool app and a new home for themdg's photos

The images found on themdg now have a new home. I use this machine for my file server as well as my web server. As a result, all of my photos can be found here. I used to add some of my photos to my Galleryas I took them, but it was getting too crowded. I had 4 or 5 thousand pictures in the gallery. It was so full in there that no one was looking at them. So, I removed them all, and started over on the gallery.

I decided to have two galleries. One that held my most favorite photos, and a little description of the picture. This would be my "Photo Gallery." The other would be a dynamic listing of all the pictures I've ever taken. That was the tricky part, actually. Finding some software that would do this, without messing up my photo repository. Since this is my file server, the photos are my master copy. I didn't want to mess them up with inline caches and scripts all over.

After a few weeks, I found one that works perfectly. Weatimages lives in the root of my photo directories, and creates one directory seperate from the other, to store it's caches. My photo directories remain untouched. It provides a dynamic, yet still cached listing of all my photos.

My Weatimages listing:


I also started over with the gallery, and am only putting my best pictures there.

Have a look:

No comments: