Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Gully of Doooooomommm...

Edit: I went back this morning and took this picture. Hard to believe that this peaceful road would be the scene of so much chaos and carfusion. (end edit)

So, it's almost February and we finally have our first snow! We've been enjoying such warm weather here in Maryland lately. Actually, I haven't been enjoying it. It should be cold in the Winter where it's supposed to be cold. And no, I don't think so-called Global Warming has anything to do with it.

Anyway...so it's snowing cats and dogs today, and started to "stick" after a few hours. So, the melty part turned into ice, with snow on top. I had some home teaching to do, and against my better judgement, I went for it. My little rear-wheel-drive pickup truck did great in the show...if you like sliding all over and doing donuts, which I do.

I made it only a few miles from my house when I realized the trip was folly. I found myself at the top of a hill, on the far side of a small gully. I saw the road getting hilly, so I called the whole thing off. Now...how to get home.

I was at the top of the gully which was pretty steep, and pretty long, planning my attack. I realized a van had been sitting there for a while. I walked over and talked to the driver. Sure enough, she was STUCK! I pushed, and joked and put her at ease, and coached her on how to get out of the gully after she was back on the road. She made it out.

I tried, but got stuck at the bottom. While I was thinking of how in the world I'd get out, a few cars tried, but got about as far as I did. So, as they spun their tires, I jumped out and pushed! They slowly...slowly inched up the hill as I pushed.

This story is getting too long. I'll sum up.

More people came, and more people got stuck. Some ran into trees, and eventually everyone either gave up, or made it out. I was able to kind of rock my truck up and back until I was (again) on the far side of the gully. I got all the speed I could and went for it! I baaarely made it over the top of the other side. Phew!

The whole thing took about 45 minutes, and was actually quite enjoyable.

102: I helped several people out of a gully, and did some donuts in my truck, all in one night.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is mom. Matt! Cami told me on the phone it was pure ice out there and people were having trouble getting home from church. And there you were in it. Glad you made it home in one piece. Hope your lesson went well. Ours was good except she used mostly quotes from a book by Elder Maxwell (which I've read) and I was sort of wondering why we weren't using Pres. Kimball's words.

Emily said...

I'm glad you're safe, just make sure not to talk to anyone one phone when you drive. Especially while you're doing donuts. What if I witnessed a wreck why we were talking? I would never forgive myself.

Cami said...

Nice job. I'm glad you got some donuts done. Our neighbor kids were pulling people out of our gully with their Jeep. I think they thought it was AWE-SOME! Which it was. I think they helped a lot of people out.

Amber said...

I try never to drive in the snow since I tend to wreck! I almost lose my lunch when we even start to slip a tiny bit, and of course, Todd like to slip around a little....

Lili and Jeff said...

What a chum you are. I am incredibly jealous of the warm weather over there! I will trade you ANY DAY! I walk out into the snow in my flipflops, only to realize there is an inch of ice on my stupid car. Then I am late for school. And my pants and feet are wet. Plus the ice on the roads is unbearable. That is a nightmare what you went through! But atleast you helped a lot of people out!

Unknown said...

Glad you got out. It's a scary thing to be stuck in the ice. And it always seems to happen at night.