Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"What's Red Dolphin?"

So, lately, my blog title has been "The Red Dolphin." What is that?

I've never actually seen a red dolphin. I have seen a dolphin though, and I'm not just talking about on TV. No. I've seen a dolphin in the flesh (scales?) and my own naked eyeballs. Ok, so it was at Sea World. But I also saw some in the Bahamas, but it cost about $150 to swim around with them. Who has the kind of money after getting to the Bahamas?! Not me, man.

No, "The Red Dolphin" isn't a real swimming mammal. Here is the story. It's short, but cute.

We were in Target a few weeks back, buying a few things. We like to cruise their clearance stuff (look for the red tags) as they sometimes have some good deals on stuff we need. In particular, they had their dollar section stuff marked down to $.25. Nice. (I love when they have draw-string-bags there...any size.) So, we had about $12 worth of target-stuff in the cart.

At checkout, all the prices were coming up wrong. The total bill ended up being over $60! The girl apologized and was very nice, but told us we had to go talk to customer service. Next thing we know, lots of people are going over there. Turns out they had a computer problem and all the prices were wrong. It took them a few minutes, but they sorted our stuff out correctly. As I waited in the line though, I watched people leaving the store and thought to myself. "They all just overpaid on all that junk. "

In the car, we were talking about it, and I said.. "Man, everyone is getting ripped off in there." Jack promptly asked "Dad, what's Red Dolphin?" After asking him to explain what he meant, he said: "You said everyone was getting red dolphin there." Haha. So there you have it. The mystery of the red dolphin.

All joking and sea creatures aside...you have to watch these retailers. Wal-Mart is the worst!! Every time we shop there, something shows up with the wrong price (in the stores favor, or course.) I really think they do it on purpose. Once, we were buying 6 things. 5(!) of them came up several dollars over the price on the shelf. Our choice was to either buy them at the crappy price, or go back and double check. Please. So, we just left everything there and bought the one thing. I really...really hate shopping there. I try to write prices down when I can, and check them as they are beeped.

You gotta watch out, or you'll get Red Dolphin there too!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I know whatcha mean. I've been red doflfined, blue dolfined, green dolfined, anything you want to call it. I'm like you and look for the tags and most of the time, that's sometimes the only reason I buy the item. I usually have the guts to bring it up, and one time they just looked at me and like I asked for their left shoe and just said, "that's what the computer says." You know what, I wrote a letter and since that was Target, I threatened to go to Walmart (great alternative I know). They wrote back but it didn't help anything except my momentary frusteration. Anyway, I agree, it stinks.

Booya back! First comment, and I know there will be many more on this subject. Oh yeah!

Cami said...

Yes, I've been red dolfined enough to never step back into that horrible WalMart store again. I hate it. I'll stick to Target, momentary computer failures or not!

Matt said...

Target + Costco = makes the world go round.