Tuesday, August 04, 2009

KNRS on FM...

Good news for talk radio listeners. KNRS (570 am) has made the move to FM. You'll find Lonsberry, Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh and Ramsey on there, not to mention Noory. You can keep Laura. With a growing number of devices featuring FM-only receivers (like my phone), it's nice to have an FM choice besides the increasingly annoying KSL. I can finally dial my listening time on that one down to zero.

The only downer I see is that KNRS is turning off their AM presence soon. Some AM stations come in stronger in remote areas than FM stations. We are gaining some clarity, but could lose some coverage. With stations moving to FM, will AM become a thing of the past (or has it already?)...a place where only strange local stations and foreign music can be found?

This weekend, as I tooled around the Heber and Wasatch valleys on a photo shoot, I found an AM station that was nothing but a guy with a monotone mechanized robot voice repeating cliches, movie lines, and song lyrics along with an occasional announcement of when his CD would be released. I listened for an hour, memorized. Come on...that's good radio. Lets not take that away.

Anyway, give KNRS a listen. It's a nice alternative to the "hey KSL...the early 90's called...they want their broadcasting style back" station on the FM "dial".

2 comments:

Cami said...

Interesting robot guy station. I should really make the switch to talk radio. Sadly, mostly I listen to Backyardigans and the like.

Unknown said...

I have found the FM KNRS. Nice and clear most of the time. I didn't know they would be shutting down the AM. Hmm.